The Mystique of Writing Stories ( G )
Because I get asked so often ... here is a writer's secret

funfayre
Good advice there Miki.

One stylistic thing I'd add to the list is "new speaker, new line".

I've lost count of the number of stories I've read in various other places across the web where you have entire conversations told in a single paragraph. Not only does it make it more difficult to work out who's speaking at any one time, but it can result in my pet peeve: missing speech marks.

It is unbelievably irritating to be reading what you think is someone's speech, only to realise that you're now in the middle of narration, so have to backtrack to work out where the speech ends and the narration begins. I once saw an example on another site where speech marks were missing between voices in a conversation - so it looked as though a single character was speaking, whereas in reality it was two.

-oOo-

On a more positive note, if you're writing a series / serial, don't worry or fret if you miss your 'usual' posting time. We'll wait :)

I've seen another site where authors somehow feel compelled to write a blog post apologising if they're going away on holiday / are ill / or for whatever reason can't post an update when they normally do. You write stories because you want to, not because a mob's going to congregate from all parts of the world and bash down your door if you don't write!
Miki Yamuri

Good advice there Miki.

One stylistic thing I'd add to the list is "new speaker, new line".

It is unbelievably irritating to be reading what you think is someone's speech, only to realize that you're now in the middle of narration, so have to backtrack to work out where the speech ends and the narration begins. I once saw an example on another site where speech marks were missing between voices in a conversation - so it looked as though a single character was speaking, whereas in reality it was two.

-oOo-

That's a very goo point n baby added it jus cuz.

Sm  chies

The best thing about my life is being Lisa's Pet Babydoll

Wannabe_Baby
Good advice, each of you. All very good stuff and definitely a few things I should implement into my story (keeping the lines in small groups being the main one; even starting new paragraphs regularly isn't really enough to keep it from being the "wall-of-text" that I so dearly want to avoid).

If I had anything to add, it would just be to expand upon funfayre's point of missing speech marks; get punctuation right. I can happily take a few spelling mistakes and keep reading but if you're going to write a story at all make sure you know where the basic stuff goes. Use full-stops (periods) so your sentences don't run together and commas to further your sentences when you've got things to add. Basically, just make sure you know what the simplest things do and use them in your story. Try to make your story look like one you can see by opening any work of fiction; nobody opened a novel and saw a wall of text with interchangeable dialogue and narration with only one full-stop at the end of every page.

However, I will say that you shouldn't go overboard with learning what everything does; see that semicolon I just used? I'm pretty sure I've been using it incorrectly for the 1300 pages of my story on this site and everyone's too polite to say something.
Cushie Chloe
I didn't mean for you to go to all this trouble Miki!

I wuv everyone no matter what.
I am happy to take any cutie that needs me :)

SissyBabyLeslie
all good points. hmm anything to add... Don't be afraid to post your first story because you worry it might be terrible. If you've followed grammar, spelling, written from what you know, and the other things on this thread, you can't let yourself be afraid of it being messed up. When it's written, post it; you just might discover that you have written something that is good enough to go in your readers' list of favorite stories.

Another thing: Try to avoid having a ton of actions in a short length of text, to the point that your readers have a hard time keeping up with what's going on. On the other hand, don't be too descriptive, either. That means don't overload the reader's mind with a whole paragraph describing too much for them to get the picture of in their head. I can't tell you how many stories have annoyed me when they were so detailed about clothes that I actually had to skim over the description because I knew it wouldn't do anything but confuse me.

When I start a new story, I start out wanting to start a new story, or maybe I get a new character idea, or an idea for a story plot. Sometimes I start off with a pun, or maybe a potential inside joke; whatever it is, it's what I call my inspiration. I literally need inspiration for fuel when I write. If you reach a point where you are unable to go on with writing, look around you for inspiration. Look at other stories. Try roleplaying. Be creative with how you get inspired.

Well, that's all I have for now.
Can thithy baby bwufer pway wif me?

Hey evwybody twy weading pencil, paper, pacifier, the book i've been workin on!
Miki Yamuri

If I had anything to add, it would just be to expland upon funfayre's point of missing speech marks; get punctuation right. I can happily take a few spelling mistakes and keep reading but if you're going to write a story at all make sure you know where the basic stuff goes. Use full-stops (periods) so your sentences don't run together and commas to further your sentences when you've got things to add. Basically, just make sure you know what the simplest things do and use them in your story. Try to make your story look like one you can see by opening any work of fiction; nobody opened a novel and saw a wall of text with interchangeable dialogue and narration with only one full-stop at the end of every page.

Is so true sweetie. One entire sentence that's the length of the story, with no punctuation, makes readers leave in droves.

A few intentionally mispelled word ta b cutes .. sok. Hvn mnney tht r missepleld ... you get the message.

The best thing about my life is being Lisa's Pet Babydoll

Sweet Heart
This is very good advice Miki. It's a lot more encouraging than most when it comes to writing.

I agree the only thing that keeps a person from being an author, is the fear that their work would be wasted. If you follow all the rules and make a post that's both readable and interesting, like any of the books you can see anywhere ( It doesn't have to up to those standards yet tho ) It will make a good impression.

In this endeavor also, as in any, the more you do it, the better you will be at it. Don't be descouraged if your work is primitive at first. It would be very interesting to see the very first story Mr. Azamov ever wrote. Bet it's rather primitive. LOL
Littlepissy

babyjennie
Good advice, everybody. Here is my two cents worth.

Dear struggling author,
first off, let me explain that I‘m not trying to be horrible. I’m telling you these things so you can improve your writing, and therefore more readers will be able to enjoy all the hours and hours of work you put in. Please accept these literary criticisms in the kind spirit in which they are given.
Hugs from Baby Jennie

When you ask your reader to read your story, it is like asking someone to climb a long stairway to a beautiful house. You know they will love the house and the view, but you have to convince them to climb the staircase first. When you put in paragraph breaks, that is like building landings on your staircase. Without landings, the stairway becomes one long haul, and your reader will become disoriented and confused, and quickly abandon the climb. If you want people to read your story, you must put in paragraph breaks.

Use punctuation. These are like the rules of a game, so we all know what we are supposed to do. When you forget punctuation, it’s like breaking the rules, and no one is sure what is going on.

Beginning a sentence with the words, “So” or “Anyway” is a verbal conceit with null meaning. We use these words when chatting with friends to gather our thoughts, but we NEVER use them in writing - unless they are there to make a distinction, like the word ‘therefore.’
- The words ‘got,’ ‘get’ ‘came’ and ‘went ’ are similarly null verbs. They don‘t really mean anything, and add nothing to your writing. Replace those words with a real verb; one that has flavour. You don’t ‘get in the highchair…’ Preferably you ‘climb up in the highchair’ or you ‘crawl into the highchair’ or you ‘scramble,’ or ‘clamber.’ Are you getting my drift, or catching it?
- You don’t ‘get dressed,’ you ‘dress.’

I hope this helps all you authors out there.
Hugs from baby Jennie in Australia
Preemie
Thank you for putting this together, Queen Miki! And thanks for inspiring Miki, Bruins Kid!

Miki, you say OMG moments -- but your stories are wall-to-wall OMG! They're all adventurous, erotic, and totally cute!

Also, whoever gave you the "brandy glass and the ocean" analogy is an awesome person. That's a great way to think about life.

Wannabe Baby, Sissy Baby Leslie, Fun Fayre, Baby Jennie, and Sweet Heart, thank you, too, for your advice. It is good, and I'll keep it in mind.

I basically love all the writers on this site. I always get new, interesting ideas from the great stories I read. Then I try to put those ideas back into the stories I write for this site.
Baby talk rocks!

slave23
I think the most important aspect of writing is having fun with your writing. It's a chance to explore and live out your fantasies without compromise!
Things like commas, semi-colons and conjunctions are all less important then the fun you have while writing the story. I studied English & Writing at Uni(versity) for 4 years and the one thing I learned is that there are no rules to writing, only exploration. But I do recommend spell check :p
HeatherRose
Wow! Lotsa great advice here.

For those looking for story ideas, here something that might help. What first got met started writing stories was because I was having trouble finding the kinda stories I liked reading. So, if there's something you like but don't see much of maybe you can do like I did and try writing the stories you'd like to see more of.

LilJennie
I would like to add a few things to the already excellent suggestions in this thread.

Please decide what your story's point of view will be -- the narrator can be detached or can be a character in the story with a name. Be consistent and hang on tightly to that point of view. It can make the difference between readers' understanding what's going on and becoming totally lost.

Also, when you obey all these rules about spelling, grammar, word usage, punctuation, point of view, etc., then you earn the right to break them for effect. If your narrator isn't a character in the story, you can draw people in when there's a big difference between how your narrator speaks (with perfectly correct spelling, grammar, etc.) and how your characters speak (they can use words incorrectly, use words that aren't real, speak with accents, etc.). If your narrator is a character in the story, you can have them speak differently from other characters, who might even use language better than the narrator. But you can't break the rules if you can't follow them in the first place, or the effect is completely lost. Breaking the consistency can't work if there's no consistency to break. A lone weed stands out in the middle of a perfectly-kept lawn, but in a lawn full of weeds it can't be seen. The rules don't exist just to cause problems in English class. Know when to follow them and when to break them, and when you break them, let it always be deliberately.

Show, don't tell. Which of these two ways of stating the same thing is more effective?

"He found out that he couldn't control his bladder."

"He felt a tickling feeling between his legs and a warm sensation spreading across his crotch, but only after a moment did he realize that he was wetting himself. He tried to hold it back and make it stop, then tried harder, but to no effect. He had just uncontrollably wet his pants."

If it's something important to the plot, showing it happen is always more effective than just telling people that it happened. Now, showing a speck of dust falling to the floor is probably not important, unless that speck of dust is actually a world populated by Whos that is then rescued by Horton the elephant -- that is, unless it's important to the story. Showing unimportant events in great detail will bore your readers, but showing important events will electrify them.

Sometimes a story can take on a life of its own. If you know how a story begins but not how it will end, begin it anyway. You might find your characters solving their problems themselves by doing what it is in their natures to do, or events might naturally follow that will suggest what happens next. You don't need to work out all the details in advance before you start typing.

Finally I'd like to agree with Miki and others in saying don't give up! The advice in this thread is just one drop in the bucket of all the possible advice that other writers have for you. There are hundreds of books on how to be a better writer. You might want to read some of them, but let's face facts: you will never remember all this advice when you actually write -- some of it, perhaps, but never all of it. Advice can only go so far. The only way you will truly improve your writing is by writing.

Whenever you write anything, write to the best of your ability at that time, and know that you are improving. You are constantly improving, and as long as you keep pushing yourself, that trend will continue every time you write, for your entire life. Don't worry whether what you are writing is "any good." The only way you can fail is not to write at all, or to stop trying and fall back to writing stories like you write IMs or text messages. (This is not to say that your characters can't communicate via IM or text message!) If you seriously want your writing to get better, then it will happen every time you write.
Sunshine & rainbows,
LilJennie

"So sing aloud now, your favorite music
Because Heaven needs to hear it too."
-- Jennifer Funshine
LilmissAnnie
This is a much needed set of thoughts for SK's young writers.
It should be in a young writers forum and not back here in the boonies.

One of the things that really disappoints me is when I take the time to read a story, and it abruptly stops without getting anywhere, or worse yet takes me on a titillating point and then stops. Oh well.

Again thank you all for this thread, I look forward to reading your and others stories here in my beloved Sissyland.

Many hugs and kissies
LilmissAnnie

PrincessKira
One thing that I've found to be very important is that when you write something is to proof read it. This can be helpful in so many ways, reading your own material gives you a good idea of what your readers are going to see. This can also help you get back to writing a story you've started, but have been unable to finish.

Another good thing to remember is that if you're writing it's for your own enjoyment first. Everything else comes second, don't let the readers direct your story when you're the one writing it. This also brings to mind another item. What if you're writing a story and you've lost interest in that particular story? Write something else, and get back to the first when you're ready to. In other words don't let the continuation of a story suck away the fun of writing. The story will wait for you, and so will your readers.

One thing that I believe has been missed is the issue of "Fan Fiction." To some it may not seem as good as writing something entirely new, but never discount it. If a universe someone else created is where you feel at home then write for it. Some of the best books I've ever read are essentially fan fiction. So it's not about weather or not you write in a universe of your own creation. It's about writing in a world that you enjoy, weather it's your own or from someone else.

Also never get discouraged by what you think you lack as a writer, if you lack it, you'll find it. This is doubly true when some one else harshly criticizes you, or to quote the great Mark Twain: "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

But the most important thing to being a writer is to realize that you're quite mad. As writers we're all completely bonkers, and that is our greatest gift. Once you come to terms with having lost your mind, you can get to the business of writing. Being a great writer boils down to having other people enjoy your own special brand of insanity, and by extension the ride it takes them on.
SissyDesiree
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

One problem I have when I try to write a story is that I come up with fantasy scenes that I like, getting spanked, being diapered, and so on, but nothing really exciting to go in between to tie them together into a real story. There are a few standard themes that I see a lot, but I want to do something new and different. The Planet of the Giants cappie series was interesting partly because it was a new idea.

- Sissy Desiree
- Sissy Desiree

TiresiasRex
EXCELLENT essay, Miki! In fact, this was worthy of a commencement address...perhaps the Writer's Workshop in Bethesda, MD? or the Writing Program at Grinnell College? But I digress....

You are so correct about overcoming fear. Fear is indeed the "little death", and "the mind killer" to quote the Bene Gesserit from DUNE.

Thank you for this inspirational and motivational piece!
baby5522
This was a very interesting post Miki, thank you for posting it. I am sure that I am not the onely that hs a hard time with grammer etc. Though over time I have improved my use of english as best as possible.

To not exactly quote but near to it as I can remember Christie Luv once saying, that grammer etc. Should not be the biggest or most crucial point in people doing stories, not everyone posses good english skills.

I think some, not all posses less since the age of Texting came out. I have personally nothing against texting, or texters. So please bare this in mind, this is not a personal attack on theose who love to text.

I know it is most useful, though try to consider this, that it may have become too useful and even though it was not intended for this to happen, it has in some ways made the mind lazy. Though it is not just Texting, there are other factors at work that has made the quality of English fall in the past few years.

Things evern from bad schooling, to pupils that did not really care too much about their education so long they did get a job once leaving school. Bad parenting, the list is almost endless.

It does amaze me that people do attach great importance to good grammer etc. in a story, for books being published, I understand the need for it. Yes I gree, it helps if a story is presented to I would say of some reasonable and ledgable degree.

I know I am not the only one to have had poor eduction or poor learning, either way, there are those even more worse off than what I am. I am worried that the importance off good grammer and spelling as I seem to get the feeling form everyones replies here that these things hold the greater value and importance over a persons creative input.

I have to ask, does that make it right or even fair on the less eductacted author? Regardless of what or why their use of english is, they do need to be encouraged, true, even helped. However with a much larger and greater emphasis on good grammer and spelling may cause presure on the one who may be just like me, has all the creativity, but lacks the enlgish skills.

Yes one does get better at english the more times they use it. But that person needs to improve it because it makes them feel good about them self, and not doing it just as so to fit in and be like everyone else.

The moment anyone starts doing that, it becomes a comformaty, not something a preson feels they want or wish to aspire to, they have to do those things or no one is going to read their work.

This is my most concern, I would not want anything like that to be the case or happen to someone. Speaking from personal experience, I was so far behind even other kids that were slow in leanring like me, I felt that there had to be something very wrong with me and I tried so very hard to be better, I had no idea, though that was putting pressure on me, it was in a way.

Of that I make no joke. I would cry at nights, softly, quitely, as I did not want the people who brought me up to know I was crying. They did not like me being too emotional anyway. So I had to learn how to be upset, but in away no one would notice I was upset.

I cried because I never felt liek I was good enough, those who brought me up only drove that into me even more so and even the teachers at my school made me feel I was utterly worthless, that I could and would not axcell to do anything with my life.

And anything that I could do, was never good enough, because there was always someone who can do the same thing 10 to 100 times far better than I could, so there was no real point in my trying, or so thought and even believed for a very long time.

In all that time there was a part of me that did not want to believe that, but people I came across and met were the same way with me, they too told me I would never be good enough. It took a very long time befoer I finally stopped listening to that and believing it.

Even now I still goof up with either a grammatical mistake, or a Paul becomes a Johhn half way through the story, a common problem of a name mix up, to which I know I'm not the only one that has that problem.

Though on the whole I do not not have it so bad, but someone else could have, or just could be slightly worse off in their grammer and spelling, so my say on this mater, to give them a chance and to please bare in mind, even good intentional critisism to someone else could brake their self esteme or confidence in themselves.

I know this, because I have lived it, I can not even begin to put into words what I had gone through, been put through, I only ask please spare a thought for those less fortunate, try help them by trying to understand what it is that makes their use of English to be so poor. Let them know it is not their fault that it not a bad thing.

Never say, they could and will improve. Trust me, they may think and most often the very first instint will be to think and feel they are not good enough. Truly I mean this as this comes from my heart and as a person has been through that.

Some who has less or who feels less of the person they are, will feel shame, fear of not being good enough, feel they are not even worthy enough, be that to be an author, a poet, etc. I feel too much emphasis is being placed and put on others, that they have to do their very best or they wont get vrey far.

I beg of you to thik not with your minds, but with your hearts, if your heart tells that to be right, be sure, be very, very sure. To me it is not even remotely right. Keep going on that trak and line of beliefe even.

That only the best will do and so forth. And that will set apart the very structure of humanity which I personally feel is already near almost broken, or at least twisted in a way that no one can see it, or how wrong it is.

It no longer bothers me that there are better authors or musicians etc. than my self. I have no desire to be better than them, just to be as best I can be, but for my self and my self worth. Because it is what I want so I can not only feel good about my self, that I can feel pride, but in a good way and most importantly, that I do not ever have to feel nothing more than being eorhless or not good enough, ever again.

No one should ever be made to feel that way. So please, please bare that in mind, I am not the only one, I am sure of that, to which has sufferd as I have. Please, do not let others suffer... Thank you.

I LOVE BEING A SISSY BABY PET

'Ask not what you can do for a Sissy. Ask a Sissy what they can do for you.'