Where to learn photoshop?
Posted on
Make A New Topic In This Forum
I know there are a few photoshop gurus on here. Where did you pick up your photoshop skills? Do you have any idea where I can go to learn the ins and outs of it?

Maybe if I figure it out I can try to make some stuff for this site too. Everyone likes new pics. :)
Last Post
10 posts
These lovely people support all the features in Sissy Kiss to contribute to our community! So it would help so much if you could check them out, and say your from Sissy Kiss. Some even give discounts, or free gifts by mentioning it!

Add your message here..

gwenny
Hi e-chan a good place to find free tutorials is itunes podcasts. A very good one for basics is "Photoshop Wednesday", I also like Terry Whites "Adobe Creative Suite Podcast" but its about the whole suite so you have to sort through to find the photoshop ones. On the podcast description page look for the list of "Listeners also subscribe to". There are dozens more podcasts out there. What version do you have? I just got PhotoshopCS3, and I'm really liking it. Gwenny
e-chan
My version is CS 8.0. I'm pretty sure that isn't the newest one but it should still work, especially if I don't know how to use all these fancy functions it has.

I want to learn how to use flash as well. I think I can figure that out. newgrounds.com has a bunch of tutorials on that.

deb_in_training
"CS 8" can't be right. "CS" (Creative Suite) is Photoshop, Illustrator and an assortment of other tools packaged together. The current version is CS 3, and it includes Photoshop version 10. Maybe you mean Photoshop 8 (PS 8), which is 4, maybe 5 years old.

There's also a light-weight version called Photoshop Elements.

I learned Photoshop & Illustrator by reading the manuals. Of course, when I first started using them, Adobe still provided printed manuals, which tells you how long ago that was.

As for learning how to use Photoshop from scratch, I've found the "Missing Manual" series is usually pretty good (http://missingmanuals.com). However, they don't have one for regular Photoshop, just for Elements. But they do have a book on Flash, which I've found useful.

Dunno about the version you have, but the latest version comes with a DVD full of video tutorials. Also the help menu has a bunch of "how to" links. And while I doubt that Adobe gave you a printed manual, the distribution disk should have a PDF with the official manual.
e-chan
It says "photoshop CS" in the program menu, and it says it is version 8.0.

I'm guessing it means it would be version 8.0 of CS 1, if that makes any sense.

I'll look into this stuff. It looks like it is going to be a lot of trial and error apparently.

I'll figure it out. Thanks. :)

deb_in_training
e-chan,

That version should have come with a printed manual. At least mine did: 3/4" thick, black spine with white letters. I think that was the last time adobe gave out printed manuals.

If you can find it, start with that. It looks pretty good.

Otherwise, try almost any "intro to photoshop" book. It should show you the basics of dealing with palettes, selecting, editing your selection, layers, text, and so on.

BTW, layers are VERY useful.

Also, if you can find the install disk, look closely. Mine came in a 2-disk jewel case, with a video training disk hidden in the back.

One tip: save files in photoshop (psd) format, not jpg. jpgs are lossy; every time you open and save the file, you lose a little bit of quality. Instead, save & edit it as a psd file. When you need a jpg, use File->Save For Web to create a jpg copy.

-- Deb
Lavayn
i like to watch pixel perfect for learning new things about photoshop. Its a weekly podcast on revision3 and each week he makes some kind of picture useing differnt techniques its pretty helpful. The best way i think to learn really is to play around in it, have some fun, you may be surprised at the outcome. -Link Here-

e-chan
I don't have the disc or the manual. I used to use MS paint for everything, but it is slow and painful to try to make anything worthwhile.

Layers are a godsend. I've been looking through the tutorials listed in the program itself. I want to make some stuff. I think I'll start with anime desktop background pics.

I want to make a pretty sailor mercury one, and I love ranma 1/2 so I'll hunt down/make some screenshots to edit up and post. Maybe someone else likes them too.
Lavander
Those two are my favorite characters in Sailor Moon. I'm very much looking forward to seeing your work!

~ Items ~

prissyprincess
  Thx gang I too am having problems with the photo,s I,d like to do and post for all of you . Your just great please keep up the good work. 
May the Fun never END . giggles , Summer,s Hot How About You ,
What kind of post would you like to make?
Topic
Video
Audio
Story
To post certain kinds of posts, like images, audios, or videos you need to be signed in first.